Tuesday, December 21, 2010

BATHALA: APOKALYPSIS Now and Then

For a superhero, staving off the end of the world is pretty much business as usual. But what if the hero has to deal with THE End of the World?


Bathala: Apokalypsis is a 7-part mini-series that asks the question, "What if Superman had to deal with the Apocalypse?" Published under the Alamat Comics imprint, it is written by David Hontiveros and illustrated by Ace Enriquez, based on an idea from Gerry Alanguilan.

The project was actually conceived way back in 1997, but it wasn't until recently that it finally materialized. The story itself is set in 1999, back when fears regarding the coming millenium and the supposed end of the world were prevalent. Despite the time frame, the story is perhaps no less relevant today, what with the current hysteria over the alleged Mayan doomsday prediction supposed to take place exactly 2 years from this very day (I don't know about the end of the world, but it looks more like history repeating itself to me).


2 issues of Bathala: Apokalypsis have been released thus far,
which you can also view online at David Hontiveros' official site.

1 comment:

  1. My name is Gerry Batocabe. My last name derived from the 3 Bato regions in Philippines. My family history is of worshipping Bathala, I have the amulets passed down from centuries of my families ancestry. Just thought I would mention that for i am still learning my namesake. I am Filipino American and have ignored my roots for 35 years. Very interesting stuff.

    ReplyDelete